CHURCH OF GOD IN ONTARIO HISTORICAL COMMISSION
Appointed biennially by the Administrative Bishop, the mission of the Historical Commission of the Church of God in Ontario is to preserve and perpetuate the history and heritage of the Church of God in Ontario. Current members are Bishop David Saffrey, chair; Bishop Ronald Binda, co-chair; Bishop Cebert Adamson, Reverend Marjorie Brown, Sister Laurel Service, PMP
- To develop policies governing the recording, preservation and use of Church of God in Ontario historical documents and data.
- To encourage the collecting and cataloging of historical documents and items of significance for preserving the history and heritage of the Church of God in Ontario
- To stimulate interest in Church of God in Ontario's history through historical displays, through anniversaries of historical importance, and through marking and preserving appropriate historical sites.
- To encourage research, writing and publication of materials related to Church of God in Ontario history at all levels throughout the church.
- To cooperate with, and facilitate the work of, other historical commissions across the region and at district levels.
- To engage in other activities as assigned by, or approved by, the Administrative Bishop and Regional Council, adopted by the wider membership.
Church of God in Ontario Heritage Exhibit and Publications
With the support of the Regional Council, the Historical Commission of Church of God in Ontario authorizes the Historical Commission to create a Heritage Exhibit for each Biennial Meeting of Ministers. The COGIO Historical Commission will produce an accompanying publication for distribution to registered delegates. Following the Biennial Meeting of Ministers, the COGIO Historical Commission will have the exhibit on display at the Regional Executive Offices of the Church of God in Ontario. The exhibit is free and open to the public. Exhibit themes have included:
- Living the Word, More than Eighty Years of Church of God Ministry in Eastern Canada
- It Seems Good to the Holy Spirit and Saints in Eastern Canada - Celebration of the First Hall of Prophets
Clifford McDonald Historical Writing Award
One of the chief objectives of the Church of God in Ontario Historical Commission is to encourage research, writing, and publication of materials related to the history of the Church of God in Eastern Canada. In 2022, the Administrative Bishop, Dr. Lennox Walker, recommended to the Regional Council and District Overseers, the establishment of the Church of God in Ontario Historical Writing Award to honor the late Reverend Clifford McDonald, for his involvement in pioneering and planting churches in Eastern Canada, with objective to draw attention to excellent works of history, and to encourage others to undertake the important task of communicating our heritage. The Church of God in Ontario Historical Commission grants an award each Biennial Meeting of Ministers, for article-length and book-length publications.
Church of God in Ontario Historical Commission
The Church of God in Ontario's Historical Commission evolved from the induction of the First Halls of Prophets in Eastern Canada, with intent to develop and document plans to celebrate the 90th year journey of the Church of God in Eastern Canada, from 1934-2024. Using the theme, “Nine Decades of Pentecost” the commission created several items of memorabilia, a film, and a three-volume set of historical publications: A Treasury of Pentecostal Classics: Classics by Church of God in Ontario Authors; Sermons that Guided the Church: Addresses of State Overseers and Images of a People: An Album of Church of God in Ontario History. The COGIO Historical Commission was comprised of Bishop David Saffrey, Bishop Ronald Binda, Bishop Cebert Adamson, Reverend Marjorie Brown, Sis. Laurel Service